indie art & design blog
OPENING TONIGHT: The bi-annual The Finders Keepers markets (formerly Hope Street Markets) have become an unmissable event on the Sydney calendar, and the much anticipated winter markets will welcome us all this weekend! With market stalls in high demand, the Finders Keepers showcases the very best in indie design from around Australia.
Opening tonight at 6pm, The Finders Keepers will come alive with over 100 design stalls, including many new faces selling products you're yet to discover! Click here to check out profiles on each & every designer.
I'm especially looking forward to browsing the wares of Ruby & Scarlett, a small letter press studio from Balmain and Shagpile who handmakes interesting & funky accessories from vintage, reclaimed & unusual fabrics. Curious am I!
One highlight of the The Finders Keepers Markets is the Artists' Wall - a showcase of works by local artists, illustrators & graphic designers. Featured this winter will be:
- Andrea Smith, Sydney-based illustrator & designer whose work includes unique handmade collages
- Beastman, well-known Sydney-based artist & designer Brad Eastman, who is also the founder, editor and designer of the much-loved online art publication [weAREtheIMAGEmakers]
- Marcela Restrepo, an illustrator & graphic designer who was born and raised in Medellin, Colombia and is represented by The Jacky Winter Group
- Kevin Tran, Sydney-born artist/ illustrator/ graphic designer
- Natalie Sharpe, Sydney-based visual artist who sells selected work through her label Nelipot Designs
- Mark Soetantyo, a freelance designer, originally from Jakarta and based in Sydney
If the overload of art & design isn't already enough, The Finders Keepers will also be showcasing a line-up of local independent musicians & djs. You will be entertained throughout the event by live performances from Caitlin Park, Telafonica, Clairaudience, Nina Stamell and many more. Visit The Finders Keepers for the full music line up.